You may not have heard about tiny telco Yomojo before now, but if you’re looking for a bargain priced no-frills mobile phone plan, then you should take a closer look.
Yomojo plans tend to offer a potent combination of low-cost and high-data. You won’t get bonus Netflix subscriptions or free tickets to the cinema, but you’ll find that the value for money more than makes up with the lack of extras.
If you become a Yomojo customer you’ll get access to the full Optus 4G network. There are no exceptions to this, anywhere you can get an Optus signal you will be able to get service with a Yomojo SIM card.
To show you how easy it is to switch over, and keep your current number, we’ve put together a step-by-step guide with everything you need to know.
What you need before you sign up:
- A valid email address
- An Australian delivery address
- A credit/debit card (cheque or money order also accepted)
- Network and provider unlocked phone that is compatible with the Optus network
Step 1- Sign up online:
There are 5 steps in the Yomojo online signup process:
- Choose between an unlimited plan, a PAYG SIM option, or customising your own plan.
- Transfer your existing number, or choose a new phone number for the account.
- Enter your details or sign up using your Facebook account.
- Choose between prepaid and postpaid.
- Choose a payment method.
All their plans are no contract plans and you can switch between the plans at any time.
Step 2 - SIM card and delivery
You don’t have to worry about choosing the right SIM size, Yomojo will send you a 'triple punch' SIM card, with mini-SIM, micro-SIM and nano-SIM sizes. You can just pop out the size that fits your phone.
The SIM card and delivery are free when a plan is chosen. However, if you are purchasing a PAYG SIM plan, there is an upfront fee of $2.04 covering the cost of the SIM card.
You will receive an email when the payment has gone through and another when the SIM card has been sent. SIM card delivery takes between 3-5 business days.
Step 3 - Activate your SIM:
When your SIM card has arrived, you will need to activate it.
To do this, go back to the Yomojo website and find the 'Activate' link and follow the prompts, or call the service team to help you out. You will need the numbers on the back of the SIM card, so keep these handy.
Step 4 - Transfer your number to your new SIM:
If you are bringing your number from another provider, the porting of the number will start as soon as the SIM is activated.
Yomojo takes care of this step. It contacts your existing service provider and organises the transition. Porting your number will also closes your account with your old provider, so you don’t need to contact them to stop your service.
Porting of your number usually takes a few hours but it will depend on your previous provider. You should allow up to 48 hours to port the number to the new SIM. In the meantime, your old SIM will continue working, so keep it in your phone for now.
Under normal conditions, the following transfer times apply:
|Provider||Estimated Transfer Time|
|Telstra, Aldi||Approx 1 hour|
|Vodafone, Lebara||Approx 1 hour|
|Optus, Virgin Mobile, Amaysim||Up to 48 hours|
When the number is ported, they will send you can email that your number is ready. Just pop the SIM into your phone and you're ready to use your new service.
- You can download the Yomojo app or log in via the Yomojo website to see your plan details, add credit or change your plan.
- If a friend already with Yomojo has referred you, you can add their number on the details page when signing up and you will both receive $20 credit.
- 1900/premium numbers are block on these services.